The Monitor My Watershed® data portal lets you share your Leaf Pack Network® data with the world. It also lets you explore sensor datasets from EnviroDIY™, a do-it-yourself environmental science and monitoring community. Monitor My Watershed, Leaf Pack Network, and EnviroDIY are all part of the WikiWatershed® Toolkit.
Enter Your Leaf Pack and Rock Pack Data on Monitor My Watershed
Before getting started with data entry, please note:
- The macroinvertebrate taxa in Monitor My Watershed reflect the sorting protocols in the Leaf Pack Stream Ecology Kit released in early 2020. Learn how to map older data
- Habitat data is not yet included in Monitor My Watershed. It is on our “wish list” for a future release.
- Monitor My Watershed does not contain data from the old database (2001-2017). Learn more
- Click the “Sign Up” link on MonitorMyWatershed.org to create an account.
- Register your experiment site.
- Enter the data from your Leaf Pack Network Field Data Sheet and Biotic Index Data Sheet.
- After submitting the data entry form, you will see a summary analysis for your experiment including Pollution Tolerance Index Score, Pollution Tolerance Index Rating, and Percent EPT.
- To view data for any of your experiments, log in and click on “My Sites” in the main menu, choose a site, scroll down to the “Macroinvertebrate Data at this Site” section, and then click the “View” link next to an experiment.
- To download experiment data, click the “Download CSV” button near the top of the experiment details page.
View Leaf Pack Network Data Entered By Others
- Go to MonitorMyWatershed.org. You do not need to register or log in to view data.
- Click on “Browse Sites” in the main menu.
- In the “Browse Data Collection Sites” sidebar, under “Data Types,” check the “Leaf Pack” box.
- Click on a map marker to view site details, then click on the “View data for this site” link.
- Scroll down to the “Macroinvertebrate Data at this Site” section.
- Choose an experiment and click the “View” link.
The macroinvertebrate sorting protocols in the Leaf Pack Stream Ecology Kit released in early 2020 differ somewhat from earlier versions. Use the following table to help you enter macroinvertebrate data collected using the older protocols.
|Taxon in Current Biotic Index||Pre-2020 Match|
|Non-net-spinning caddisflies (Trichoptera other than Hydropsychidae)||Other caddisflies|
|Dobsonflies, fishflies, and alderflies (Megaloptera)||Sum of Corydalidae and Sialidae|
|Riffle beetles (Elmidae), larvae and adults||No match. Old protocol counted all beetles together.|
|Water pennies (Psephenidae)||No match. Old protocol counted all beetles together.|
|Right-handed/gilled snails (Gastropoda)||No match. Old protocol counted all snails together.|
|Clams/mussels (Mollusca)||Enter fingernail clams, if any. No other clams and no mussels were counted under the old protocol.|
|Left-handed/lunged snails (Gastropoda)||No match. Old protocol counted all snails together.|
|Rat-tailed maggots (Syrphidae)||No match. Not counted under old protocol.|
The original Leaf Pack Network database contained data from 2001-2017. While it can’t be directly imported, we are considering the options we have to bring that data into Monitor My Watershed. If you are interested in having your historic data added to Monitor My Watershed, please contact us so we can inform you of our progress on this matter.
Biotic Index Calculator
We strongly encourage you to share your project data on Monitor My Watershed to help advance knowledge and stewardship of freshwater systems around the world. When you share your data, your biotic index will be calculated for you. If you choose not to share your data, you may use the Biotic Index Calculator instead.