Stroud Water Research Center and LaMotte Company are pleased to announce the release of the updated Leaf Pack Stream Ecology Kit featuring a new dichotomous key, new sorting sheet, updated manual, and a simplified biotic index calculation. And we have A NEW DATA PORTAL!
The Leaf Pack Stream Ecology Kit helps teachers, students, and citizen monitors discover the value of macroinvertebrates as living indicators of water quality. The kit is a totally reusable and flexible tool that can be adapted for varying time limits, number of participants, and grade levels. It includes a comprehensive instructor’s manual and all of the equipment needed for collecting, sorting, and identifying aquatic insects.
Features of the updated kit include:
- New biotic index featuring three color-coded sensitivity groups using a colorblind-friendly palette.
- Updated sorting sheet to match the sensitivity groups.
- New data portal at MonitorMyWatershed.org.
- New laminated dichotomous key to follow sensitivity groups.
- Updated macroinvertebrate identification flashcards (now including riffle beetles, left- and right-handed snails, and more!).
- Updated manual and data sheets, including a new habitat data sheet.
You can view the full list of included items and current pricing on LaMotte’s website. To order, call LaMotte at 800-344-3100 (Order Code: 5882). The kit is also available from a number of vendors in the U.S. and Canada.
The Leaf Pack Stream Ecology Kit contains everything you need to perform a leaf pack project with a group. Consult the Leaf Pack Network Program Materials List if you need to purchase materials independently of the kit or replenish your kit materials.